Deutsche Version
BREAKS . VENUES

Gera Art Collection

The Gera Art Collection presents a variety of exhibitions, paintings and sculptures at the Otto Dix Haus and the Orangerie. One of Dix's most important works, Saint Christopher, is at the Otto Dix Haus. The baroque, semicircular Orangerie was designed by the Thuringian architect Gottfried Heinrich Krohne and built in the Gera kitchen garden between 1729 and 1732. During Bauhaus Year the galleries are hosting two prestigious exhibitions.

  • 25 March - 14 June 2009: Kurt Schmidt and others - avantgarde artists as heirs of the Bauhaus
  • June - September 2009: Reinhard Roy - concrete art (paintings and objects)

Open:
Tue 1pm-8pm


Wed-Fri, 10am-5pm  


Sat, Sun & public holidays 11am-6pm 

» Website

 

 

Museum of Applied Art, Gera

The Museum of Applied Art's collections and exhibitions span arts and crafts, photography, applied art and design, its most historically valuable collection being the Bauhaus ceramics. These have been on show since 2002 together with the German and international art déco collection in the permanent exhibition "Art déco & functionalism - applied art between the world wars". The museum is hosting two exhibitions during Bauhaus Year.

  • 3 March - 1 June 2009: Alfred Erhardt Photography and Film - a retrospective
  • 23 June - 20 September 2009: Marguerite Friedlaender-Wildenhain - a ceramicist at the Bauhaus

Open:


Tue 1pm-8pm


Wed-Fri, 10am-5pm


Sat, Sun & public holidays 11am-6pm

 

 

Municipal Museum, Gera

The Municipal Museum has one of the most important cultural-historical collections in Thuringia today. Among the highlights are the collections relating to the historical Reuss states (part of present-day Thuringia), the history of textiles in Gera, local pewter and porcelain, as well as extensive photographic and graphic holdings. One of the museum's current focal points is Gera's industrial history. It is also hosting one exhibition on the theme of the Bauhaus.

  • 16 June - 27 September 2009: Thilo Schoder and colleagues - modernist buildings in Gera

Open:


Tue 1pm-8pm


Wed-Fri, 10am-5pm  


Sat, Sun & public holidays 11am-6pm 

 

 

Haus Schulenburg - Gera

Haus Schulenburg is probably the only fully preserved art nouveau villa by the Belgian architect Henry van de Velde. It was designed for Paul Schulenburg, a Gera textile manufacturer, and built in 1913. Today it includes an exhibition and events centre for approx. 60 people, a private museum containing the world's second-largest collection of book designs by Henry van de Velde as well as plans, textiles and furniture of his and a café. Haus Schulenburg is hosting the following Bauhaus Year exhibitions:

  • Permanent exhibition - Book Art - Henry van de Velde - book designs, publications, designs and furniture
  • 15 March - 19 July 2009: Van de Velde and his legacy - Bürgel ceramics, arts and crafts (collaboration with Gera Museum of Applied Art)
  • 21 March - 14 June 2009: Metal figures - six metal workers at Giebichenstein Castle, Halle
  • August - October 2009: Sculpture in the park - Jutta Albert (porcelain) - Klaus Albert (metal)
  • August - November 2009: Bauhaus textiles past and present (collaboration with Bauhaus University Weimar)
  • 6 September 2009 - January 2010: Functionality and Sensuality

Open:
Mon-Fri 10am-3pm
Wed & Fri until 5pm
Sat 2pm-5pm
Sun 2pm-5pm
 
At other times by arrangement 

» Website

 

 

Palace Museum – Gotha

The Palace Museum is at Friedenstein Palace in Gotha, one of Germany's largest early baroque palace complexes.
It has a collection of art and cultural artefacts dating from antiquity to the modern era including paintings by Cranach, Dutch and Flemish masters and the famous "Gotha Lovers" of 1484. The museum is hosting the following Bauhaus Year exhibition:
10 October 2009 - 4 January

  • 2010 - Modern but not just a fashion - Bauhaus artists in Gotha

Open:


Tue-Sun, 10am-5pm (April-October)


Tue-Sun, 10am-4pm (November-March) 

» Website

 

 

Haus des Volkes - Probstzella

The "Haus des Volkes" hotel in Probstzella, a village in the Thuringian Slate Mountains nature reserve, was built for the industrialist Franz Itting and the opening ceremony was on 1 May 1927.

 

It was planned and realised by the Bauhaus architect Alfred Arndt, a teacher at the Bauhaus in Dessau from 1929 to 1932. Even during his student years (from 1921) Arndt had been strongly drawn to the ideas of the Bauhaus.
The Haus des Volkes building, which has been listed since 1995, was acquired by two Probstzella residents at an auction in 2003 and is currently being renovated.
The historically accurate restoration of the café pavilion - using evidence and Arndt's own colour specifications - earned the building the German Façade Prize in 2005.

 

 

» Website

 

 

Impressum